April Fundraising for Band Together – Kidznotes
Our team and Band Together are partnering together all April-long, so lets raise our glasses for another Eschelon Experiences “Month of Giving”! Our goal: Raise $10k and show Band Together how much Raleigh loves to ‘amplify change’!
Band Together’s Mission: Using live music as a platform for social change.
Band Together has an amazing story. A vision begun 15 years ago, Band Together was imagined as a response to the tragedies of
September 11, 2001. More than a decade later, and thanks to the tireless efforts of thousands of volunteers, generous corporate and individual sponsors, dedicated board members and the generosity of our community, Band Together has risen to be a powerful partner to nonprofits in the Triangle Area.
Band Together has raised more than $5.5 million to benefit the Triangle community since its 2001 inception, helped change lives and had fun along the way. We are the Mullet. Business (and social good) in the front, party in the back.
Band Together’s 2016 Partner
Kidznotes Changes the Life Trajectory of Underserved K-12 Students through Orchestral Training
Kidznotes was inspired by El Sistema, a free program based in Venezuela in classical music for young children from highly impoverished backgrounds. Thirty-five years and 800,000 students later, El Sistema is the national jewel of Venezuela, a world-acclaimed program being emulated around the globe.
Kidznotes launched in September 2010 with 60 students at three Title-1 Schools in Durham. Now in its fifth year, the program serves more than 220 students in five Durham elementary schools. The Raleigh pilot program, which began in the fall of the 2013-14 school year has welcomed 110 Raleigh students to the Kidznotes family.
Kidznotes introduces children to classical music and they provide 10 hours of music instruction each week free of charge to all participants. But more than that, Kidznotes uses music as a catalyst for change.
Early data shows that students participating in Kidznotes:
- Attend school more often;
- Start from behind in terms of school-readiness for the 3rd or 4th grade; however, after 1-2 years of Kidznotes, score at or on-par when compared to state mean scores on end of grade tests for their schools and grades;
- Are more frequently identified as “A” or “B” students in the classroom;
- Are more willing to ask for help when they need it;
- Are more frequently identified as having self-determination and persistence.
- 3rd grade EOGs (End-of Grade exams)
- Reading: 47% of Kidznotes students scored at or above proficiency, compared to 28% of their Durham Public Schools peers and 46.6% NC average.
- Math: 47% of Kidznotes students scored at or above proficiency, compared to 35% of their peers and 48.3% NC average.
- 5th grade EOGs (End-of Grade exams)
- Reading: 50% of Kidznotes students scored at or above proficiency, compared to 29% of their peers and 41.1% NC average.
- Math: 80% of Kidznotes students scored at or above proficiency, compared to 36% of their peers and 49.7% NC average.
In 2016, Band Together and Kidznotes aim to raise $1 million through corporate and individual donations, and grants. Proceeds raised during the 2016 partnership year will be used to expand the number of students served by Kidznotes in Durham and Raleigh to 600 by the 2016-17 school year – an addition of 290 students over two years to Kidznotes’ current roster of 310. Kidznotes’ strategic plan and vision includes serving 1,000 students in Durham and Raleigh by 2020.
For more about the program, visit www.kidznotes.org.
What is this whole “Month of Giving” thing?
Month of Giving is one of the ways Eschelon raises funds and awareness for our core nonprofit partners. Every quarter we highlight one of our partners through print materials and online support, urging our local community to take action and help in a simple way.
Each dollar our guests give will be matched by two awesome $2,500 “matchers”: Mako Medical Laboratories and Modern Woodmen. These companies are making sure we’re already half way to our goal with their combined $5,000 donations!
Where will the donations go?
All the funds given by our guests and matched by our partners – Mako & Modern Woodmen – will go directly to Band Together.
Where can I give?
Donate at any Eschelon restaurant during the month of April! 100% of all funds you add to your bill will go directly to Band Together.